The holidays seem to usher in a season of gluttony. George Bernard Shaw was once quoted as saying “There is no love sincerer than the love of food.” If food is love then no better time exists to shower our affections on those we hold near and dear than the holiday season. The Thanksgiving feast sets in motion a nearly three month “love fest” that could very easily slide into the Bowl season, capping off with The Super Bowl. I might add that this glorious event, another in which we have highlighted the necessity of food, should be so aptly named, due to the copious abundance of food stuffs which typically accompany the proceedings.
We set forth during this season designed to celebrate our abundance with an eye on our waistlines, knowing full and well we may be adding that much needed layer of insulation for those coming cold months. With that idea in mind, here is a light little snack you can add to your holiday get-togethers, tailgating events, and “bowl” gatherings of every sort…
Note: Try to use as much organic produce as possible. You can find organic canned black eyed peas and hominy and even organic salad dressing. If you want to add more work to your recipe, you can soak your own beans and make your own Italian dressing.
Recipe Courtesy of :Poetic Food
– 4 cans of black eyed peas
– 2 cans of white hominy
– 5 medium ripe tomatoes chopped in approx. quarter inch cubes (I like a lot of tomato so use your judgement)
– 3 cloves of garlic minced
– 1 green pepper, finely chopped
– 1/2-1 jalepeno seeded, and finely chopped
– 1 medium bunch of scallion chopped
– 1/2-1 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
– 1 large bottle of robust italian dressing
– generous dash of course sea salt and black pepper
Chop everything. Mix everything in a big bowl. Add the dressing, mix it up. Dip a chip in and taste this stuff.
Also delicious in scrambled eggs, salads, or wraps and burritos.